It is a widespread misconception that flight will be more expensive than buses and trains but if you know how to get a cheap flight ticket and if there are many destinations on your travel schedule, flights may be the best choice for you.
* Plan your trip outside high seasons.
* Search for special offers via travel agents, newspaper, travel websites or the airlines' websites. Most major airlines have "Special Offers'' section on their website. That being said, a huge discount is offered if you book ticket during the sales time (you don't have to travel on the sales time, just book them when discount if offered). Alternatively, you should check to compare the airfare between airlines because during peak season to popular destianation, we found that there is a little diffirence in price among airlines. In these cases, and if your demand for flight is really neccessary, early booking can sometimes be beneficial as prices may increase closer to the flight date.
* Another option is using low-cost carriers such as Air Asia, Jestar Pacific or Vietjet Air which are serving Vietnam from an increasing number of destination in South East Asia, Asia Pacific, Australia & New Zealand, in particular.
* If you enter Vietnam through one airport and leave through another, can save you from costly backtracking across Vietnam. Also consider purchasing domestic air tickets in conjunction with your international flight as some airlines offer air passes or discounts on connecting domestic flights.
* Vietnam Airline - a national airline - offering a VNA Holidays package which combine airfare and accommodation at low rates, available to individual consumers. These packages apply both for international and domestic flights. Check us out, or get our newsletter for special offers on flights to Vietnam and others.
Long-distance travel within Vietnam
By open buses
For who have more time to travel by ground transportation, careful planning of your travel schedule can have a huge effect on your transportation budget. The most saving way of travel is using open buses to transfer from one destination to another. Because open buses are, by far, the cheapest way to travel longer distances in Vietnam. For example, you can take a sleeping bus from Hanoi to Lao Cai - a 8 hour drive - for 15USD/pax/way. Or, with only 20 - 60USD, you can stop at mutiple destinations along your schedule and stay as long as you want (as long as you give 24hours notification for the next bus). The ticket can be booked via travel agents or actual company's offices. In the backpackers' areas, the offices are line up one after the other. Or contact us for making a reservation.
By Vietnam Railways
By Domestic flights
Budget Travel Guide